Undergraduate Internship Arrangement
As detailed in the “Fourth phase of special measure for internship in response to the Novel Coronavirus epidemic” announcement on March 18, 2020, please be reminded that the requirements for internship program completion have been adjusted to:
With reference to the six-month internship duration requirement:
- The suspension period between Jan 26 to March 31, 2020 will be considered as a result of force majeure and will not need to be compensated. The overall duration requirement of six months is thus unchanged; and
With reference to the 800 minimum working hours requirement:
- Is reduced to a minimum of 600 working hours
Although students (except those non-Macao residents who are now residing outside of Macao SAR; for details please refer to: “ Additional measure (March 25): Fourth phase of special measure for internship in response to the Novel Coronavirus epidemic” announced on March 25) are allowed to resume their internship on April 1, 2020 at the earliest, we understand that as the situation develops, some students are having difficulties to resume their internship immediately for various reasons including but not limited to:
- The student needs to be quarantined
- The original internship placement is no longer available and thus the student needs to seek a second placement
- The internship provider (IP) cannot resume operations immediately and thus requests the student to resume internship at a later date.
- Some interns currently undertaking internships overseas are on mandatory suspension as ordered by the respective governments and/or are unable to leave the country due to travel ban/border closures
To assist these affected students to cope with this difficult situation, the Pedagogic Council Practicum and Internship Sub-Committee (PCPI) will consider the period of delay of resumption to be a part of the six-month overall duration requirement as these are situations beyond the students’ control. All students will still be required to meet the minimum 600 hours requirement in the six-month overall duration. In other words, an extension of the internship period will be required if a student is not able to meet the 600 hours within the six-month period.
For the attention of non-Macao residents who are now residing outside of Macao SAR only
As informed by the IFTM Hostel today, hostel service (using the hostel facilities in the University of Macau campus) will resume on April 3, 2020. However, please be reminded that the IFTM hostel will only arrange the room for you with written approval from Pedagogic Council Practicum and Internship Sub-Committee (PCPI) on your internship resumption. Moreover, upon checking in at the hostel, you are required to go through a 14-day self-quarantine as this is a precaution measure for your own health and safety. For hostel arrangement and inquiries, please contact: IFTHostelTeam@ift.edu.mo (Ms. Lucy Wong).
Again, you should not return to Macao without written approval from PCPI. In order to receive this approval, you are required to follow the following instructions.
If your original internship placement is no longer available in Macao:
- You are recommended to apply for a second placement in your country/region of residence instead of returning to Macao to look for a second placement.
- However, if you insist on applying for a second placement in Macao, you should apply remotely (e.g. by email) and/or to conduct an interview by online channel (e.g. online meeting tools like Skype, Zoom, Wechat, etc.) instead of returning to Macao first. Please take into consideration the forth mentioned 14-day self-quarantine requirement and thus you should schedule the start date of your second placement on a date after the self-quarantine is completed.
- Once your second placement is confirmed, follow the standard procedure of submitting the Proposed Internship Placement form (by email) to firstname.lastname@example.org and the PCPI will verify it with your IP.
Once all details are verified, you will receive an email approval from the PCPI to return to Macao to start your second placement. You are advised not to arrange your flight (or other transportation means) before receiving this approval.
If your original internship placement in Macao is still available:
- Contact your internship provider (IP) as soon as possible to discuss a mutually accepted date of internship resumption. Please take into consideration the forth mentioned 14-day self-quarantine requirement and thus to schedule your resumption on a date after the self-quarantine is completed.
- Once you have the resumption date confirmed with your IP, email the details to email@example.com and the PCPI will verify it with your IP.
- Once all details are verified, you will receive an email approval from the PCPI to return to Macao to resume your internship.
- You are advised not to arrange your flight (or other transportation means) before receiving this approval.
Students can refer to email announcement for more details. Should you have any further inquiries or need special assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org